Resources & Links
- International Affairs Program, Northeastern
- Political Science Department, Northeastern
- College of Arts and Sciences, Northeastern
- Prof. Denis Sullivan's pages
- Northeastern Voice, Susan Salk story on US Dept. of Ed Title VI Grant
- Middle East Timeline: The early years
- Middle East Timeline in the 20th Century
- Islam in the World. Map from the BBC
- Middle East NGOs NGO news
- Human rights info
- Human rights watch
- Amensty International
- Mosharaka: information on Arab culture and civilization. Who are the Arabs? etc.
- The Middle East Research and Information Project [MERIP]
- Arab Reform Bulletin. From Carnegie Endowment
- Reuters AlertNet Foundation. NGO news
- Al Bab: human rights in the Arab World
- Archive.org MOSAIC: contains a list of movies and documentatires, and a special section about the Middle East. To watch a movie, please right click on the link which has the movie and then 'Save Target as' and save it to your computer then watch it when it downloads.
- Mosaic special report on media reporting. Mark Erickson MoSpec20040407 : Arab Television, War of Information. 60 min
- The Power of Nightmares: a documentary on Islamic Fundamentalism
- Private Warriors from Frontline
- Promises and Betrayals:Britain and the Struggle for the Holy Land. An intriguing look at how the British double-dealing during WWI ignited the conflict between Arab and Jew in the Middle East. A disturbing picture of a duplicitous wartime government. Broadcast Monday 14th March on History Channel - 53 Minutes Requires Real Player
- Interviews with John L. Esposito : In this interview, John L. Esposito, Director of the Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding and author of numerous book on Islam, discusses Western perceptions of Islam. He addresses what non-Muslims should know about Islam, how it interacts with Western religions, and the phenomenon popularly know as “Islamic fundamentalism.�? Esposito objects to this term and in the last part of the interview he explains why. For more on these issues, consult the excerpt from his book What Everyone Needs to Know about Islam and his essay “Contemporary Islam: Reform or Revolution�?. Also hear the audio clips from Mosharaka
- War and Peace in the Midde East. Balfour Declaration etc.
- Control Room. A documentary about Al Jazeera satellite.
- Into the Kingdom: the Religion, Culture and Politics of Saudi Arabia. Video and Transcript of the documentary.
- Wahabism: from Frontline
- A new project of the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, D.C., examines the economic, political, and military trends affecting the future of Saudi Arabia and the stability of the Persian Gulf region. Of particular interest is a draft report on "Islam Extremism in Saudi Arabia and the Attack on Al Khobar" available in PDF format.
- Looking for Answers: Egypt, Saudi Arabia, 9/11, radical islamic terrorism... etc.Hunting Bin Laden. A Frontline info page.
- House of Saud. Transcript of the PBS video.
- Muslims. Transcript of the PBS video
- Islam as a Political System. Stephen Humphries
- Islam and the West. BBC analysis. Religion and Ethics: Islam.
- The 50 years War. History/Analysis from the BBC
- Al Jazeera: is it different? from PBS
- University of California escholarship on the Middle East
- National Academy Press
- Digital Book Index
- E-Scholarship Public Books
- Colonising Egypt. Timothy Mitchell
- Human Rights and Reform: Changing the Face of North African Politics — Susan E. Waltz
- War, Institutions, and Social Change in the Middle East — Steven Heydemann, editor
- Putting Islam to Work: Education, Politics, and Religious Transformation in Egypt — Gregory Starrett
- MIT courseware
- Project Muse Access to thousands of online journals
- Project Diana: online human rights resource
- The Avalon Project at Yale Law School. Speeches by presidents, historic documents etc.
- Electronic Books, Univ. of Texas
Feminism/ Gender Issues
- Men, Women and God(s). Nawal El Sadawi and Arab Feminist Poetics
- States and Women's Rights. The Making of Postcolonial Tunisia, Algeria, and Morocco. Mounira M. Charrad
- May Her Likes Be Multiplied: Biography and Gender Politics in Egypt — Marilyn Booth
- Men, Women, and God(s): Nawal El Saadawi and Arab Feminist Poetics— Fedwa Malti-Douglas
- Between Marriage and the Market: Intimate Politics and Survival in Cairo — Homa Hoodfar
- Saudi Women